Basic Beginners ClassesWork with our trainers to teach your dog the basics!
Basic Beginners Classes
Does your dog ignore you? Get a little crazy when guests visit? Jump up on people, steal things off the counter or excavate the garbage? This must do class for you and your dog covers the basics and then some. You’ll learn how to prevent common problems and train the behaviors you like. Learn skills that will enhance your relationship while setting you and your dog up for a lifetime of success and desirable behavior. Your dog will develop a strong foundation of skills that can be utilized in a variety of real life situations, including at home manners, out and about adventures, and even those unexpected “surprise” situations.
To qualify for this class, dogs must be at least 4 months old.
Introduction to Dog Training Class
Before participants attend Basic Beginners Class, they must attend an introductory class.
Our dog-free Introduction to Dog Training classes are free of charge and required before you attend any class . This class will cover basic requirements, class rules, room layout, training philosophy, how dogs learn, canine body language, and equipment.
The next orientation will be held on:
Sunday, March 15 at 2:30 PM
Monday, March 23 at 5:30 PM
Sunday, March 29 at 2:30 PM
Monday, April 6 at 5:30 PM
Sunday, April 12 at 2:30 PM
Monday, April 20 at 5:30 PM
Sunday, April 26 at 2: 30 PM
Basic Beginners Class
Basic Beginners Class (recent SBHS adopter)
Basic Beginners classes are taught in an open enrollment format to allow for maximum flexibility. After attending an orientation, you are free to start at any time and move along at your own pace. Students have 8 weeks to complete the five different modules.
No more waiting weeks for a class start date! You can now start right away. You can miss up to 3 weeks in the 4 week timeframe and make up the missed class when that weeks curriculum comes up again. Take advantage of the new system right away – it’s never been easier to train your dog!
Basic Beginners attendees can choose between classes on Wednesdays at 6:30 PM or Saturdays at 9:30 AM
What to Bring
- Dogs must wear a flat collar or harness.(Dogs may not wear choke-chains, prong or electronic collars.)
- A six-foot, non-retractable leash
- Necessary vaccination records
- A hungry, but not famished dog.
- Treats: A variety of your dog’s favorite treats, cut into very small pea size pieces, that you can carry in a treat pouch or other suitable container that allows easy access when you are seated, standing or walking. Bring three different types!
- Treat pouch that you can wear, which is easy to put your hand in and doesn’t make noise when you grab a treat. We sell these in our shelter office if you don’t have one!