Pet BoardingBoarding at the Santa Barbara Humane Society is a privilege for our members. Membership costs $25 per household and is good for 12 months.
Pet Boarding Policy & Procedures
We would like to welcome your pet to stay with us at the Santa Barbara Humane Society, however some pets are better suited to our boarding facilities than others. To help us determine whether or not your pet is suited to board at our facility please complete the Boarding Health Checklist and bring it with you when dropping off your pet. Please see Dropping off your pet for boarding section for more information.
To ensure the health and comfort of your pet while boarding, we have the following policies:
- We do not board pets that have not been spayed or neutered
- We do not board pets under the age of 12 months
- We do not board cats that are over the age of 12 years*
- We do not board dogs that are UNDER 50 pounds and OVER the age of 12*
- We do not board dogs that are OVER 50 pounds and OVER the age of 10*
- The comfort of your pet and the safety of our staff is our priority. For this reason, our staff may decline boarding any pet that appears to have health or behavioral issues.
*These pets are considered geriatric and are not well-suited to our boarding facility
Our Boarding Facilities
- Boarding at the Santa Barbara Humane Society is a privilege for our members. Membership costs $25 per household and is good for 12 months.
- We strongly recommend using flea preventative prior to your pet’s arrival for boarding.
- We do not allow boarding cats or dogs to board together, even if they are from the same household and are inseparable at home. We realize some pets are more comfortable together than alone, but it is difficult to detect a health problem or to know which animal has the problem unless the animals are housed separately so as not to delay appropriate treatment.
Our Boarding Fees
Cat Boarding: $10.00 night/cat
- Our feline boarding facilities are multi-level allowing your cat to perch. They have indoor and outdoor access. If you would prefer you cat NOT be allowed in the outdoor portion of the kennel, please inform our staff.
- We require all cats to have a current Rabies vaccination and FVRCP (Feline Upper Respiratory vaccine). These vaccinations need to be brought up to date 1 week prior your cat’s arrival for boarding to allow time for the vaccines to take full effect.
- We require that all dogs have a current Rabies, Distemper/Parvo virus, and Bordetella (Kennel Cough) vaccination.
- Bordetella Vaccinations must be within the Last 6 Months.
- All vaccinations need to be brought up to date 1 week PRIOR to your dog“s arrival for boarding to allow time for the vaccines to take full effect. Unfortunately there are NO EXCEPTIONS to this policy for protect the health of all boarding dogs.
Small Dog Boarding: $12.00 night/dog
- Small dogs have indoor and indoor run access.
- Access to an exercise yard may be available upon request, for an additional fee of $2.00/night
- Maximum weight for small dogs is 10 lbs. The dog must be able to step through a cat-sized door (approximately 7″ wide x 10″ high and a step that is 8″ off the ground)
Regular Dog Boarding: $12.00 night/dog
- Regular dog boarding is a dog run with indoor and outdoor access.
Exercise Dog Boarding: $14.00 night/dog
- In addition to our regular dog kennel, your pet will have access to an exercise yard for a minimum of 1 hour/day (Possibly longer, based on availability).
- Please note that if you reserved a dog kennel with an exercise yard and your dog is fearful, difficult to handle, or may pose a safety hazard to our staff, we reserve the right to relocate your dog to a kennel with no access to an exercise yard.
Making a boarding reservation
- Boarding reservations are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis. The Humane Society accepts boarding reservations up to 2 months in advance. We accept cash, check, VISA, Mastercard, Discover, American Express and Debit cards.
- For boarding reservation cancellations or changes, you MUST call the Shelter Office at least 24 hours in advance, between the hours of 10:00am and 4:30pm, Monday through Saturday.
First time boarders:
- We recommend a “trial board” for all pets who have not boarded with us before. During this time, our staff will monitor your pet for signs of stress or discomfort, which may indicate they are not well suited to our facility. For this reason, the length of stay for our first time boarders should not exceed 5 days.
- We do not recommend our first time boarders stay over a holiday weekend due to limited staffing and the high volume of boarding pets.
- All first time boarders are required to pay in advance for the length of your pet’s stay.
When making a boarding reservation, please notify our Shelter Office of the following:
- Whether or not you will be bringing your own food (wet and/or dry). We recommend bringing in your own food, as a diet change can cause stomach upset in some pets.
- If your animals requires an extra feeding (e.g. 2 times per day). For extra feedings, add $1.00 for each special instruction per night per pet.
- Any other important diet instructions. For other special instructions, add $1.00 for each special instruction per night per pet
You are responsible for contacting your veterinarian to inform them that you authorize them to treat your pet in the event of injury or illness. We require all boarding pets to have an established relationship with a veterinary clinic in the Santa Barbara area. We will determine if it is appropriate to transport your pet to your veterinarian for diagnosis and/or treatment. The Santa Barbara Humane Society staff will transport your pet to your veterinarian at no additional charge; however, as stated on your boarding card, you agree that you are responsible for any costs or expense for treatment of your pet by your veterinarian. Please be advised that if your regular veterinarian is not available, your pet will be transported to a 24-hour care facility.
Dropping off your pet for boarding
- Drop-off and pick-up is between 10:00am and 4:30pm Monday through Saturday (excluding holidays when the Shelter Office is closed).
- You will be asked to fill out our Boarding Health Checklist regarding your pet’s overall health. This form needs to be filled out by the owner or primary caretaker of the pet. If you plan on having someone else drop off your pet, please pick up a form ahead of time in our shelter office or download the Boarding Health Checklist form and give the completed form to whomever will be dropping off your pet.
- You will be asked to provide emergency contact information in the event that you cannot be contacted regarding a situation with your pet. We will also need the names of any individuals whom you authorize to visit your pet, walk your dog or pick up your pet in the event you cannot make it back on the day you are due.
- IMPORTANT: Pets will not be released to anyone without the proper authorization and/or payment from you in advance of pick-up.
What to bring with your pet for boarding
- If you choose to bring bedding for your pet, it must be made out of a tough, bite/chew-proof material. Please be advised that any bedding that is soiled during your pet’s stay will be removed from the kennel.
- Toys are allowed as long as they are larger than the size of a tennis ball and your pet cannot chew them apart.
- Please do not bring chew toys, such as rawhides, cow hooves, nylabones, etc.
- Please do not bring catnip, wheat or other grasses for cats or treats for dogs or cats.
- Please note that our staff is unable to administer ANY medications to your pet. However if your pet is on a supplement (i.e. Joint Supplement) you would like added to your pet’s food, we may be able accommodate.
- Due to the design of our dog and cat kennels, pets needing e-collars are not permitted.
Thank your for boarding your pet at the Santa Barbara Humane Society. We hope they enjoy their stay!